Daryl Carter is the founder and CEO of Avanath Capital Management, a real estate investment firm that specializes in acquiring multi-family apartment communities across the United States.
With almost $4 billion dollars worth of properties acquired in 15 states since its establishment in 2008, Avanath Capital Management is one of the largest Black owned real estate investment firms in the country and the largest Black owned affordable housing investment firm.
Notable purchases include a high-rise in New York for $101 million, two properties in California for $132 million, and a recent acquisition in Chicago for $119 million, which is one of the largest deals in the city’s history.
In this interview, Daryl shares:
- His thoughts on the current state of the affordable housing industry and future predictions.
- His strategy for attracting institutional investors.
- How affordable housing investors can position themselves for success in this economic climate.
- Commercial real estate markets he is interested in.
- Personal characteristics that entrepreneurs need to have.
- The importance of including Black owned businesses in his ecosystem.