African Ancestry is the world leader in tracing maternal and paternal lineages of African descent. Founded in 2003 by Dr. Rick Kittles and Gina Paige, it is also the first Black owned DNA testing company.
With the industry’s largest and most comprehensive database of over 30,000 indigenous African DNA samples, African Ancestry determines specific countries and specific ethnic groups of origin with an unrivaled level of detail, accuracy, and confidence.
In this episode, co-founder Gina Paige discusses:
- The origin of AfricanAncestry.com
- Taking DNA test recipients on curated “birthright trips” to Africa
- Why she is passionate about her work
- The many ways African Ancestry differs from other DNA tests
- The surprising results from tracing her ancestral lineage
- How a lack of connection to Africa impacts Black identity