Instagram hashtags have the potential to make or break your Instagram marketing strategy. When you use them properly, your posts will be seen by more people who are interested in your products or brand.
However, if you use them improperly, you can cause harm, ranging from annoying potential followers to being penalized by Instagram’s algorithm.
Continue reading to find out how to use Instagram hashtags successfully in 2022.
Four Ways to Use Instagram Hashtags
You can use hashtags on Instagram in four different ways — in posts, on Instagram Stories, on IGTV, and in reels. Let’s take a closer look at these:
- You can add up to 10 hashtags
- You can add a location, poll, question, countdown, quiz, donation sticker, or GIF
- You may mention up to ten accounts in one story
- It is possible to tag 1 product (available to Business Accounts with Shopping enabled)
Instagram Stories can be used by brands to:
- Run polls
- Organize a Q&A session
- Share customer feedback
- Showcase the products or services
- Share behind-the-scenes of the business or event
Show the people behind your company—you’ll notice that the more stories you add, the more engagement you’ll gain.
- You can add up to 30 hashtags
- To rank on Google, add Instagram alt text to your images
- You can mark up to 5 products per post (for Instagram Business Account owners with Shopping enabled)
- Make sure you tag up to 20 accounts for a greater chance of being featured on other pages.
Pro Tip: To outwit Instagram’s algorithm and increase your reach, try to get as many likes and comments as possible within the first hour of posting.
Joining a niche pod—an Instagram group of like-minded users interested in each other’s content and mutual support—is one way to accomplish this.
Members of the group like and comment on Instagram posts immediately after they are posted, which increases engagement, visibility, and attracts new followers.
It is critical to seek out like-minded users and to be genuine about the content you promote.
- Allow you to include up to 30 hashtags.
- Upload your Instagram Reel video to your Instagram Feed.
- Up to 30 products or a product collection can be tagged.
An Instagram reel is a 15, 30, or 60-second video that includes audio from Instagram’s music library or something you provide. It is also possible to use augmented reality (AR) effects. Your reel could be noticed by a global audience if you have a public account.
When you share reels with specific songs, hashtags, or effects, your reel may show up on dedicated pages when a user clicks on that song, hashtag, or effect. Once your reel is ready, you can add hashtags.
- Include clickable links in captions.
- Include up to 30 hashtags.
- Add a cover photo and share IGTV videos to your Instagram feed.
IGTV videos must be at least one minute long, and can also be up to 15 minutes long if uploaded from a mobile device or 60 minutes long if uploaded from the web.