In this Black investor spotlight, we’re speaking with Lise Birikundavyi.
Lise is Managing Partner at BKR Capital, a Toronto based, $20 million venture capital fund built to invest in Black founders in the technology space.
When Lise took on this role, she became the first Black woman to lead an institutionally-backed venture capital fund in Canada.
In this interview, Lise shares:
- What led her to become a venture capitalist.
- Her view on how capital is dispersed in different regions.
- An overview of the Canadian VC landscape.
- Promising markets she’s interested in and why.
- Advice for those who are interested in starting an investment fund.
- Whether or not the current economic climate has influenced BKR’s investment strategy.
- What her game plan would be if she were a startup founder seeking capital.