In an ideal scenario, you should consume a well-balanced diet that provides your body with the right amount of vitamins and minerals.
However, life isn’t perfect, and your meal planning isn’t either, which is why you should take multivitamins to fill in those nutritional gaps.
The idea of a multivitamin is simple: it’s a supplement that contains all the extra nutrition you need in a convenient once-daily dosage. Then why do people have such difficulty choosing the right one? This article explains how multivitamins work and how to pick the best one for you.
Multivitamins: What Are They?
To put it simply, multivitamins are nutritional supplements designed to help you meet your daily requirements for micronutrients, such as vitamins and minerals, that your body requires to function effectively.
Research shows that most of us cannot get these nutrients through diet alone so a multivitamin can be a valuable and essential resource.
Multivitamins: How to Choose the Right One?
You will need to decide what supplement is best for you based on the following factors:
- Age- Depending on your age, you may require more or less of a nutrient. For instance, individuals entering their 50s may benefit from taking vitamins that maintain normal bones.
- Diet- Take into account the nutritional value of your diet. Do you consume a diet that’s high or low in certain nutrients? For instance, if you are a vegetarian, a multivitamin with B12 boosts an essential nutrient typically found in non-vegetarian food sources.
- Immune System- If you want to strengthen your immune system, perhaps take a multivitamin with zinc.
- Health Goals- Looking for more energy? Check whether low iron levels are contributing to your fatigue. Or, if you’d like to improve your sleeping pattern, keep an eye out for vitamin B6 in the ingredients.
What Is the Right Multivitamin for You?
Finding a supplement that you will want to take consistently is the first step to making it part of your daily routine. Here are four common types:
- Capsules and Tablets- Some people find them hard to swallow, but they’re quick, convenient, and easy to take anywhere.
- The Chewable Tablet- The gummies are a more enjoyable way for children to take supplements. Adult versions are also available.
- Multivitamins in Liquid Form- If you have difficulty swallowing pills or chewing, these are a great alternative.
- The Effervescent can also prevent swallowing problems caused by large pills because the fizzy solutions promote rapid absorption.