Born on August 17, 1887, in St. Ann’s Bay, Jamaica, Marcus Mosiah Garvey Jr aka “Black Moses” was one of the most influential leaders that the global Black community has ever had.
In 1920, Garvey established the Negro Factories Corporation and offered stock for African Americans to buy. He raised one million dollars for the project.
It generated income and provided jobs by its numerous enterprises, including a chain of grocery stores and restaurants, steam laundry, tailor shop, dressmaking shop, millinery store (clothing, fashion, hats, accessories, etc.), publishing house, and a doll factory.
Marcus Garvey Quotes
- “If we as a people realized the greatness from which we came we would be less likely to disrespect ourselves.”
- “I trust that you will so live today as to realize that you are masters of your own destiny, masters of your fate; if there is anything you want in this world, it is for you to strike out with confidence and faith in self and reach for it.”
- “Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.”
- “A people without the knowledge of their past history, origin and culture is like a tree without roots.”
- “Take advantage of every opportunity; where there is none, make it for yourself.”
- “I have no desire to take all black people back to Africa; there are blacks who are no good here and will likewise be no good there.”
- “If you have no confidence in self, you are twice defeated in the race of life.”
- “Liberate the minds of men and ultimately you will liberate the bodies of men.”
- “The Black skin is not a badge of shame, but rather a glorious symbol of national greatness.”
- “With confidence, you have won before you have started.”
Get your SHOPPE BLACK Apparel!